Learn to create and sew your own clothing in this teen only sewing course - beginners welcome! Late Spring '23 Classes begin April 15th and run for 6-7 weeks.
UES studio at 307 East 84th Street
April 15th - June 4th 2023
1.5 hour classes
Price $485/7 weeks
All Supplies Included
Teenage students ages 13-17 will learn how to design, measure, cut and sew a design of their choosing into a wearable garment. Perfect for beginners and returning students alike - projects are self-designed with the help of our professional design instructors. Students will work on our state-of-the-art Singer Quantum Stylist sewing machines.
How it Works:
- Class # 1 Students are given a lesson on how to use a sewing machine + studio safety, returning students get a "refresher" lesson on the machine. We then begin our foundation project. Everyone creates the foundation project, according to their own measurements.
- For the next project, each student sketches their own design and we help them make it! Fabric will be chosen from our stock in studio or ordered (students are also welcome to bring their own). Projects can be patterned, or draped on a dress form with the assistance of our fashion instructors.
- At the end of the course each student should have two finished projects, the foundation project and a design of their choosing!
We highly encourage students to bring in ideas and sketches of what they would like to make during their course.
Students design their own projects so that past students can continue to sew and develop their skills while new students learn the art of sewing and design. Depending on your teen's skill level they may also cover pattern drafting and/or draping while they sew their designs.
Classes meet once per week for 6-7 weeks. Late Spring 2023 class options are:
- Wed 7 classes 4/19-6/7 (no break)
- Thurs 7 classes 4/20-6/8 (no break)
- Fri 6 classes 4/21-6/9 (no class 5/26)
- Sat 7 classes 4/15-6/10 (no class 5/27)
COVID-19 SAFETY INFORMATION
We will be following New York State guidelines along with the CDC and local officials guidelines and recommendations with respect to social distancing and capacity limits. This information is subject to change.
- Sewing machine desks will be spaced 3 feet apart, we are using our entire studio to accommodate a small group of five students.
- Students will have dedicated supplies and sewing machine, this means their own scissors, pins, sewing, and drawing supplies that will not be shared by other students in their class.
- We will continue to sanitize our studio, bathroom, supplies, and sewing machines before and after each class.
- Face masks are no longer required in our studio.
We cannot thank you enough for giving us your business and placing your child in our care!
Questions? Please see our sewing class FAQ's
Please note The Fashion Class requires a waiver form to be signed for all participants under eighteen years of age by their parent or guardian prior to attending a class, camp or workshop at The Fashion Class.
As a small business, we take our registration policies seriously. Please click through to our policies page
where you can easily find your child's activity and our registration guidelines for that activity. By registering your child you are agreeing to our registration policies.